The Warrior Ethos

A new U.S. Army Field Manual presents an introduction for soldiers to “the warrior ethos” (large pdf).

“Modern combat is chaotic, intense, and shockingly destructive,” the document states. “In your first battle, you will experience the confusing and often terrifying sights, sounds, smells, and dangers of the battlefield–but you must learn to survive and win despite them.”

“The Warrior Culture, a shared set of important beliefs, values, and assumptions, is crucial and perishable. Therefore, the Army must continually affirm, develop, and sustain it, as it maintains the nation’s existence.”

The warrior ethos (or any other) is not instilled simply by reading about it. But the new Army publication provides a common vocabulary and framework of reference for the aspiring warrior, along with basic survival and combat techniques.

See “The Warrior Ethos and Soldier Combat Skills,” U.S. Army Field Manual FM 3-21.75, January 2008 (316 pages in a very large 28 MB PDF file).

No Responses to “The Warrior Ethos”

1. J-dub January 31, 2008 at 10:15 AM #

What ever happened to just being a soldier? I was proud to have been a citizen soldier, and this whole “warrior” schtick leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Didn’t we fight wars against societies where the “warrior culture” was glorified, while we just wanted to defend our country and go home? Maybe I’m just old fashioned…

2. Grey Wolf March 6, 2008 at 10:37 PM #

When you were in did you ever see the one they called a “Hard Charger”, or “Meat Eater”. They have always been there. Yes there are mostly citizen soldiers but there is a small fraction in any service who do not join for college money or because it is a job. They join to fight their country’s wars. And they are a “Warrior Culture” that is misunderstood by the civilian side and even from their peers, just because they would rather run to the sound of the fight and do so willingly rather than having to be ordered to do it. Who are these people? They gravitate toward the Ranger’s, Special Forces, Delta, Seals, PJ’s, Marine USOC, and SOCOM.
    Much as most do not like to believe there are some who like to fight a righteous war and see things differently than those who would not fight for anything, even their own life. I know, I was one.

3. Robert Harr SFC (Ret) June 29, 2008 at 9:52 AM #

It’s a shame that there are not more people reading and submitting their comments about the “Warrior Ethos” This has been around since Americans started fighting wars, all the Army did was give it a fancy name. I am mainly submitting a comment today becasue the last line of the Warrior Ethos states, “I will never leave a falen comrade.” The Army needs to understand that this line doesn’t just mean in a combat environment. I recently returned from Iraq after 11 months, I was shot in the face by a sniper on 9 Jan 07 in Baghdad. I wasn’t left by my team to die, my team saved me, and I came home to finish my 21 year career and retire. When I came home, I was treated for PTSD, I saw a Psych. and took medications without fail. After I retired I continued to serve my country by training AIT students at Fort Gordon. One evening while I was at work, I had a flash back, my hand was bleeding and a metal walker was damaged as well as a hole in the wall. The Military Senior Leaders there said, this guy damaged our wallocker, Fire him. In short my company had to fire me, even though they did not want too. The civilian GS-13 also did not want to fire me, they knew what I have benn through, but it was the Army leaders who said, get rid of him. I know I am now a civilian, but I will always be a soldier. The army trained and sent me to Iraq and made me be what I am now today. The only ones who care and want to help are the Seemless Transition and the Veterans Administration of Augusta, GA. The leaders at Ft. Gordon need to stop having soldiers say the creed if they themselves don’t live by the creed, because they left a fallen comrade behind.

4. SGT Delalla October 26, 2008 at 11:47 PM #

I certainly believe the warrior ethos has been around since the beginning of the U.S. Army. Its just has a new catchy name now. The previous poster stated, “I will never leave a fallen comrade.” This is for more then just in combat. It applies to us in recruiting as well. It applies to soldiers who feel depressed or soldiers who don’t have family to go home to during the holidays. Soldiering isn’t just a job, its a way of life. Its about a bond on a spiritual level.

Airborne All the way!!!!!
    SGT Delalla

5. SFC Delalla October 26, 2008 at 11:50 PM #

SFC Harr,
    You would always be welcome in my home soldier. If you ever need anything you can find me at airborne.soldier@gmail.com

SFC D

6. Caudillo Americano January 9, 2009 at 11:17 PM #

J-Dub,
    Look at some pictures of the NY Firefighters going into the Twin Towers on 9/11. Look at their faces. They dont like what they see, but theyre moving forward any way. None of them went home that day.Thats the warrior ethos.