Prosecution of accused CIA leaker, new CRS reports, life-sciences research and much more.
From the Blogs
- Navy Submarine Procurement and More from CRS: Secrecy News has obtained recently released CRS reports on topics such as the effects of Fukushima on U.S. marine environment, policy issues related to China’s proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, U.S. infant mortality rate and women in combat.
- Prosecution of Accused CIA Leaker Will Face Legal Hurdles: Former CIA officer John C. Kiriakou was indicted on charges of leaking classified information to the press. Kiriakou is accused of violating the Intelligence Identities Protection Act for allegedly disclosing the identity of a covert CIA officer, and of violating the Espionage Act for allegedly disclosing national defense information to persons not authorized to receive it.
- Harmonize the Oversight of Life-Sciences Research: The Virtual Biosecurity Center, a project spear-headed by FAS, published an editorial by Susan A. Ehrlich who argues that the United States needs to establish a presidential commission charged with collecting, reviewing and synthesizing information into a single, comprehensive framework for the oversight of life-sciences research.
- Dale Corson and Scientific Freedom: Dale Corson, a nuclear physicist who died last week, is best remembered as the Cornell University President who peacefully led his campus through the turmoil and upheaval of the Vietnam era. Steven Aftergood writes that Corson also played an influential role in deliberations over the role of secrecy in scientific research.
Volunteer Opportunity in DC
- FAS will have a booth at the 2nd Annual USA Science and Engineering Festival which will be held on April 28-29 in Washington, DC. We are looking for volunteers to staff our booth-come share your knowledge and career experiences with festival attendees! If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Melanie Stegman at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on our booth and the festival, click here.
FAS in the News
- Apr 3: Stars and Stripes, “U.S. Researches Idea of Using Nuclear Powered Drones”
- Apr 2: The Guardian, “U.S. Draws Up Plans for Nuclear Drones”
- Apr 2: Huffington Post, “Nuclear Drones? New Design Reportedly Increases Flying Time”