Letter to the Obama administration regarding nuclear budget, new podcast highlighting sustainable energy and water security, 2011 intelligence budget spending on the decline and more.
From the Blogs
- Prospects Fade for a Separate Intelligence Budget: Steven Aftergood writes about the National Intelligence Program budget, which will mostly remain hidden in the Department of Defense budget for the foreseeable future; it will not be given a separate budget line item or a separate appropriation despite the efforts of budget reformers and intelligence community leaders.
- Intelligence Spending Declined in 2011: For the first time in more than a decade, the total U.S. intelligence budget declined in 2011, according to budget figures declassified and disclosed last week.
- Listen to the new edition of the FAS podcast series, “A Conversation with an Expert” featuring Lindsey Marburger, Manager of the Earth Systems Program. Topics discussed include: sustainable housing, clean energy investments, and water security.
- On October 27, 2011, FAS joined the Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) and other arms control groups to send a letter to the Obama administration asking for stronger action to support its budget goals for nuclear nonproliferation programs.
- Reviewing Nuclear Guidance: Putting Obama’s Words Into Action: Hans M. Kristensen, director of the Nuclear Information Project and Dr. Robert S. Norris, Senior Fellow for Nuclear Policy, write about the nuclear targeting review that is currently underway in the Obama administration in the latest issue of Arms Control Today.
- November 1, 2011: Dr. Charles Ferguson, FAS President, spoke at Harvard University’s Weatherhead Center for International Affairs on the topic of nuclear power after Fukushima.
- November 4, 2011: Dr. Charles Ferguson, FAS President, spoke on a panel at Washington and Lee University comparing Japanese and American nuclear regulatory systems. Dr. Ferguson spoke about the role of non-governmental organizations and their influence on nuclear regulatory practice and legislation.
FAS in the News
- Nov 7: Reuters, “Q+A: UN Report on Iran’s Nuclear Program”
- Nov 7: Federal Times, “News Digest- November 7″
- Nov 6: Los Angeles Times, “Republicans Urge Herman Cain to Tell All in Harassment Flap”
- Nov 4: Global Security Newswire, “Obama to Seek New International Penalties on Iran”
- Nov 4: The Times of India, “Panic Over China’s Four New Nuclear Ballistic Missiles
- Nov 2: Global Security Newswire, “Obama Urged to Defend Nuclear Nonproliferation Funds”
- Nov 2: Gizmodo.com, “Four Cranky Crazy Old Men Busted for Toxic Terror Plot”
- Nov 1: Associated Press, “As Assange Awaits Ruling, WikiLeaks Faces Its Fate”
- Nov 1: Foreign Policy, “Arms Control Groups Appeal to Obama for Help With Congress”
- Oct 28: Association Press, “U.S. Intel Agencies Tightening Belts in 2011″
- Oct 28: Defense News, “Slight Drop in U.S. Funding for Intel Programs”
- Oct 28: Global Security Newswire, “Some Nuclear Experts Question Ramp-up in U.S. Tritium Production”
- Oct 28: United Press International (UPI), “Israel Fears Berlin Could Scrap Sub Deal”
Shop Amazon and Support FAS
- Are you an Amazon customer? If so, shop and support FAS at the same time! Use this link to purchase your items from Amazon and FAS will receive up to 15% of the proceeds from your purchase. Note: you must click on the link for FAS to receive the proceeds from your purchase.